Feeling sad and dreary about the winter weather? Yeah, I feel you.
There’s nothing wrong with dreaming of warmer days and warmer places, and when the cold and darkness of winter gets to be too much, there’s nothing wrong with just booking a sunny getaway trip either.
Ready to book your winter getaway? Watch my video below and check out my tips to make sure you set yourself up for the best trip ever!
1. DO PLENTY OF RESEARCH
Before you go anywhere, you want to make sure you do plenty of research because images (and even advice from other people) can be deceiving. The more research you do, the more information you will have to weigh to ensure that when you arrive to your chosen destination, you are FAR from disappointed.
My trip research methodology goes a little something like this:
- Start with no more than 2 to 3 different destinations in mind.
- Ask everyone! People will usually give you great advice because they simply want to share their travel experience and wish to provide valuable insight.
- Read up online. I like to check local/travel blogs to get a more first-hand experience of what a particular destination is actually like. This can vary SIGNIFICANTLY to what you will read from professional travel journalists in outlets like Travel and Leisure, and often I find local travel blogs to be more real and honest.
- Type the destination as a #hashtag into Instagram, and peruse images. Inspired? Excited? These are good feelings!
- Check average weather temperatures. Once you think you’ve found your destination, check average weather temperatures to make sure you’ll be blessed with sunshine – or rain, if that’s what you’re after.
2. CHOOSE A RELIABLE BOOKING AGENT! MY CHOICE EXPEDIA.CA
There is literally nothing worse than accidentally booking your flight with an unreliable source, only to find that your flight has been changed or cancelled without reimbursement – and yes, this can happen, and I speak from experience!
Instead, book with a reliable source that still gives you incredible rates. I highly recommend Expedia.ca for booking. They are one of my favourite sources for booking my travel because:
- They are easy to use. They have a mobile app as well as a really intuitive user interface on their website, which simply makes life so much easier when on-the-go. You can access your travel itinerary right on your phone which makes getting through the airport a breeze.
- They offer very good rates. Unlike a lot of easy-to-use booking agents, they actually offer competitive pricing which reduces buyers remorse and makes your travel research that much easier and more rewarding.
- They allow you to combine flights with hotels. I always recommend combining flights and hotel when booking as I find this brings a much better rate. What I loved about Expedia.ca is that I can book my flight and hotel for just part of my trip, which allows for flexibility in roaming part-upscale/part-backpacker fashion.
3. STAY ORGANIZED WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS
Booking is the first step to actually taking that dream trip of yours, but it’s certainly not the last. Before you take off, you want to make sure you have the right tools in your back pocket (sometimes quite literally) for having the best time you possibly can. Here are my top choices for staying organized during your trip:
- Make a comprehensive packing list. I use the packing list in the back of my 2017 Design Love planner which is also incredible for keeping track of your travel itinerary while on-the-go.
- Get the right travel wallet. The best travel wallet I’ve ever used, like actually, is created by my good friend. It fits everything: your money, your passport, your boarding pass, and even those ridiculously-sized customs cards. Learn more about the Metropolis Clutch here.
- Flying a drone? Get the proper backpack. I chose the Atomik RC Universal Drone Backpack which fits my DJI 3 Standard drone as well as my DSLR and additional lenses.
4. START SHOPPING/PACKING!
Now for the fun part! If you’re traveling during high-season, it’s better to do your bikini shopping sooner than later so that you can get your hands on some sales. I chose Bikini Village, which has an incredible selection of bikinis, one-piece swimsuits, and summer wear like dresses, hats, and flip-flops.
Start packing and invest in a high-quality carry on like a 4-wheel spinner from Samsonite (I promise it’s worth it!) or alternatively go with a duffle bag from Herschel Supply Co. (the Gorge Duffle is my favorite).
I know, I know, booking a trip is always a bit nerve-wracking, but what I’ve learned over the years to best overcome this inevitable, momentary fear is this:
JUST BOOK IT!
Stay tuned – we will be heading to Thailand this February, 2017, and can’t wait to share our journey of conquering a new continent with you. Be sure to follow along by subscribing to my Youtube channel.